Polluting vehicles cause great damage to the environment. Today, environment conscious car owners like to contribute toward saving the planet by opting for vehicles that are fuel efficient, non-polluting, and eco-friendly. This is the reason for increase in the number of people who purchase and use a hybrid car. Hybrid cars do not just make a statement on behalf of their owners but are compact and fuel efficient.
Here are some insights that may just tempt you to buy a hybrid.
- Made of lightweight materials, hybrids are small in size. The engine is designed to be fuel efficient. When the car halts at a signal, the engine will automatically shut down and restart when the car shifts into gear.
- These cars have the advantage of being powered by a gasoline engine and an electric motor that takes care of acceleration.
- The batteries of the electric motor recharge automatically by harnessing the kinetic energy produced during braking.
- Hybrid car engines produce less emission, give better mileage, idle less, and are fuel efficient.
- The aerodynamic design reduces drag and the tires are made of a special rubber that reduces friction.
- The battery has high capacity and is made of nickel-metal-hydride. The battery can run the hybrid when called for.
- The power-train technology enables using two power sources and enhances fuel efficacy.
- There are many choices. You can have a hybrid from Honda, Ford, Toyota, GMC, and Chevrolet.
- If your transportation of choice is a hybrid then the US Government will applaud your choice by giving you significant tax breaks.
- Using a hybrid means you are active in ensuring the air is clean and that you are a concerned citizen who wishes to save fuel which is precious.
Hybrid car drivers can also take maximum advantage of the "pulse and glide" point. This means finding the ideal point where electric and gas energy are equally utilized. Generally this ideal lies between 30-40 miles per hour. Stabilization of energy is learnt by practice and cannot be really taught. Another important aspect is that you benefit if you don´t rush around and drive at the prescribed speed limit. If you glide, instead of accelerate then you can make a saving of as much as 10 cents a gallon. Lastly check and maintain tire pressures. This will help lengthen the life of the tires and help you save fuel. Reduced tire pressure studies indicate reduced gas mileage by as much as 10%.
Before you zero in on your favorite hybrid car, you must carry out an in depth research on hybrids and study the pros and cons. You could also talk to manufacturers and owners. Test drive the different makes and check which one would suit your lifestyle. Some hybrids are ideal for city driving while others are more efficient on open roads.
Even if the buying price is steep, the fuel that you save along with incentives like tax breaks make a hybrid a good and sensible choice.
This article was written by Tokwear Semey and retrieved from "http://www.articlesbase.com/cars-articles/10-reasons-to-buy-a-hybrid-car-2054633.html"